Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Traffic Logistics

I left my house today at 7:00 A.M. to get to my school. I arrived in my first period at 7:37 A.M. I live only 10 minutes away. So how did this happen?

Somehow, the designers of the parking spots of my high school have forgotten that the northern parts of Tallahassee is under intense development in the 1990s (ie Summerbrooke and surrounding communities) and happen to only put 2 lanes into the entry way to our school.

Lets do some basic math. I'm going to assume the following:

  • average length of a car is around 5 meters.
  • average speed into the parking lot is 10 mph (equivalent to 4.47 m/s)
  • average distance between cars is 1 meter. 
  • average numbers of cars trying to get in is around 1200 cars
Now, without all other factors, such as stop signs, traffic from Thomasville road etc.
5 meters + 1 meters = 6 meters for each car to go through
6 meters * 1200 cars = 7200 meters total
9000 meters/4.47 m/s = 1611 seconds =  26 minutes 50 seconds
Remember, this is under ideal conditions.

That means tomorrow, I wake up even earlier....

-runiteking1

Got comments? Post them below!

No comments:

Post a Comment