Wednesday, April 9, 2008

You can smell it in the air

It's that time of the year! Not Christmas, not summer (how i yearn for thee!), and definitely not time for filing those tax returns! (oh wait..)

Regardless, it is certainly course request time! As a senior, I initially thought that my encounters with this stressful beast was over, until I realized that I must accomplish one more task before completely resigning as a high school student: I must pass on my experience and advice to all you underclassmen, in hopes that you will make the right decision for yourself and eventually pass on your experience when the time comes for you.

**********
*READ FIRST*

A couple of points I want to clear up before I begin:

1. Do NOT take a class solely because your friends are taking it.

This is your schedule. Not their's. As much as you want to be with them or want to compete (trust me, I know that feeling) against them, only sign up for a course because you WANT to take it. When you sign up for a class, it is like committing a whole year of your life to it. If you don't want to do it, then don't waste your time. Taking a class you don't really want to take makes you dread the class even more during the school year.

2. Do NOT sign up for courses just because you want to be valedictorian.

Now I am NOT advocating taking general classes and committing GPA-suicide; instead, I am encouraging you all to take the focus off that itty bitty number. It has come to the point where GPA does not play as a large role as it has before in the college application process. I suggest setting a reasonable goal. For me, it was top 10, and since I am currently ranked 4th, all is good. There are plenty of students in my class who have been accepted into amazing schools and they were certainly not valedictorians. With so many other factors contributing to your college application, in the big scheme of things, GPA should not be the main thing to worry about.

3. Have an idea of what you want to focus on

As you can see below, my schedule is heavily infused with math and science classes. You can use your electives to fill with classes that you want to focus on. Not only does it show colleges that you are interested (and performing well, assuming that you all are) in that specific area, but it will also be a more enjoyable schedule for you. Basically, if you take classes of subjects that you enjoy, you will do better because you are more motivated to work for it. I know some people who put AP social studies courses in their schedule just to fill it up and just to have that extra 1.0 point for their GPA (see note #2), but they ended up complaining about it all year because they hated social studies in the first place.

**********

These are my schedules from all my sophomore, junior, and senior years (I figure no eighth graders will be reading this) at Chiles. Of course you are not expected to follow it, but I will make some comments about the classes in general:

SOPHOMORE YEAR:
1. English 2

2. AP Statistics
I advise this class for those who are mathematically-inclined. If not, save this for Junior or Senior year

3. AP Psychology
This class is open to only one sophomore a year (unless Mrs. Womble changed up the rules). If you are still adamant about taking this class as a sophomore, talk to Mrs. Womble about how you can get into this class.

runiteking1 edit - Sophomores can take AP Psych now, with limited restriction.

4. Pre-AP Chemistry
As you can see, I have 2 sciences. If you want to focus on something science related, I definitely suggest doubling up on your sciences. There is definitely no way to take all the science classes at Chiles without doubling (or tripling! see Junior Year) up on science courses. However, before you do that, make sure you are motivated enough to work extra for science (or math or social studies or whatever your interest may be)

5. AP Biology
Same for Pre-AP Chemistry. Also, AP Biology is one of the most time-consuming AP courses at Chiles. It is definitely worth it (last year's passing rate for Chiles was 100%!) but be prepared to be swamped with work.

6. Latin 2
Of course I am a bit biased, but TAKE LATIN! In general, the foreign language department isn't too great, so you're going to encounter not-so-good foreign language teachers no matter what language you take. But Latin's club (Junior Classical League!) is so much cooler. What I love most about it is that it's not just Latin. You take academic tests that cover a wide range: mythology, greek derivatives, history, Roman culture, Mottoes abbreviations and quotations, etc. In addition, there's creative contests where you can submit mosaics, paintings, sculpture (really anything) and there's even athletic contests called Olympika. With the Latin club, there really is something for everyone. (Sorry for that JCL plug. I had to!)

7. Trig/Precalc
A given. Not much to say about this.

JUNIOR YEAR:
1. Physics Honors
My advice for this would be futile. There's a new teacher now and I have no idea how she teachers honors. Someone want to comment on how she teaches?

2. AP Environmental Science
This is the year of the three sciences. Call me crazy, but I ended up balancing it off pretty well in the end. I only advise this if you are extremely motivated and do well under lots of stress. The AP exam for this was fairly easy.

3. AP Chemistry
You are pretty much expected to teach yourself with this course. I love Mrs. Ewart, but she doesn't quite cover everything that the AP requires. This class is more math based (while AP Bio is much more English based, meaning you write a lot of essays and lab reports and learn vocabulary while in AP Chem it's a lot of equations and formulas)

4. AP Calculus BC
Mrs. Johnson is the best math teacher at Chiles. You all should be fine with this class. But be prepared to work.

5. AP Language and Composition
This is the AP class that pretty much everyone takes. There's not much to say about this.

6. Latin 3
I won't digress about Latin again.

7. AP US History
Take this if you're particularly motivated. Mrs. Thomas doesn't teach very well and to me, history is extremely boring.

SENIOR YEAR:

First semester:
1 and 2. Calculus 3 (dual enrolled at FSU)
Dual enroll if you run out of math classes. Professor Ewald is amazing at teaching Calculus 3. Also, if you dual enroll, I strongly advise taking it in the morning (see second semester dual enrollment for more)

3. AP Physics C
Again, my experience with this will not help anyone. I believe next year Chiles will offer Physics B instead and will have Mr. Carpenter as the teacher instead of Mrs. Trowbridge

4. AP Latin Literature
Be prepared to teach yourself.

5. Anatomy and Physiology
This is a pretty nice class. Easy and some interesting material. Please don't take this if you're not particularly interested by biology and dissections.

6. AP Literature and Composition
Another class that most kids take.

7. AP Macroeconomics
I hate econ. But take it because you can't graduate without it.

Second semester:
1. AP Literature and Composition

2. Teacher's Assistant

3. AP Physics

4. AP Latin Literature

5. and 6. Differential Equations and Biocalculus Computer Lab (dual enrolled at FSU)
This semester, as you can see, I switched my dual enrollment to the afternoon. DO NOT DO THIS! Along with senioritis, having to drive to FSU in the middle of your schedule and coming back to Chiles again makes you extremely lazy and unmotivated to do ANYTHING. When it's in the morning, you get it over with immediately and just continue at Chiles for the rest of the day. With this afternoon schedule, you have no idea how many times I've skipped Differential Equations.

7. AP US Government
Another class most dread but can't do anything about it since you need it to graduate.

**********

So there, my schedule and my input on my classes. Of course, everyone is a bit different. So if you have any more questions, feel free to comment and I'll reply with my opinion. Or if it's a bit personal (or complex) feel free to email me at claravu919@gmail.com


-Clara

5 comments:

  1. take classes you're interested in while still taking a challenging course load - just don't die.
    i will say junior year is usually the hardest. i would try to take your harder classes this year when you'll actually work and save easier classes for your senior year. senioritis will hit you, trust me!
    for example, take ap enviro sr year instead of ap bio.
    also, use your extra electives to take more core classes, like stat, ap chem, ap physics. if you get them done with in high school, you can take more dual enrollment classes that you might want to take.

    though dual enrollment - scheduling is a bitch. DO NOT schedule it during the day, either you go before or after school.
    and personally for upcoming seniors - i liked that we took DiffEq this semester. it's less work than calc 3, so it fits with the senioritis, and you get it over with (because you'd probably have to take it in college)


    hope my advice helped too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you include your freshman year for prospective ninth graders?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I failed your list.
    I'm taking classes with all my friends.
    And i'm taking 7 AP classes.
    Wheeee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My ninth grade schedule:

    1. Orchestra
    2. World History
    3. Latin 1
    4. Biology Honors
    5. Algebra 2 Honors
    6. Personal Fitness/Logic and Semantics
    7. English 1

    This schedule is pretty much a given..there isn't much that is hard to decide. I kind of advise someone like Marshall to post his freshman schedule because I believe the Chiles system changed with the whole AP-Accel and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn you Eli, with your IB program...

    My Freshies schedule:

    1 English Gifted
    2. HOPE (REQUIRED FOR ALL!!! TOTAL BS!!)
    3. Alg 2
    4. Eng Tech (in place of latin, I highly recommend this for an challenging class, but stil an easy A)
    5. Bio
    6. Band (Don't take if you want to long of a time commitment)
    7. AP World (AP Accel program)

    ReplyDelete